The Social Security Administration has released their annual document with specifications for e-filing W2 forms in 2014.
Read the full document here: Specifications for Filing Forms W-2 Electronically (EFW2) for 2014
W-2 E-filing changes for 2014 include:
- New required fields in the RA Submitter Record, RE Employer Record and RW Employee Wage Record
- Hire Exempt wages and Tips field has been removed from RO Employee Record and RU Total Record
- Advance Earned Income Credit field removed from RW Employee Wage Record
- Valid tax year ranges have been added to all money fields in some Records
Effective January 2015, the SSA will return electronic and paper wage reports that contain a W-2 with any of the following conditions:
- Medicare Wages and Tips less than the sum of SS Wages and Tips
- Social Security Tax greater than zero and SS Wages and Tips equal to zero
- Medicare Tax greater than zero and Medicare Wages and Tips equal to zero
- For employment type Household only: Sum of SS Wages and Tips less than the yearly minimum for coverage and Medicare Wages and Tips less than the yearly minimum for coverage.
For 2014 tax year, e-filing can start beginning December 8, 2014 for Business Services Online (BSO). Terminiating businesses may file before that date. EDT (Electronic Data Transfer) filers may submit files beginning January 7, 2015. (Most businesses fall into the EDT filers category)
If you don’t want to worry about all the e-filing requirements, Discount Tax Forms can e-file for you! Contact us for details on our new 1099 & W-2 E-file service for 2014.